[LEAPSECS] internet drafts about zoneinfo

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Mar 7 08:03:46 EST 2011

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Joe Gwinn wrote:

> So, we have an instant in time that is forever fixed,

Yes.

> and a progress rule that counts out uniform seconds (ideally SI seconds

> the standard says in the Rationale).

No. POSIX time does not define a progress rule. It is defined by a formula
that maps UTC time labels into a flat counter.

> The actual requirement is "As represented in seconds since the Epoch,

> each and every day shall be accounted for by exactly 86400 seconds."

That is a rephrasing of part of the defining formula. The preceding
sentence is "How any changes to the value of seconds since the Epoch
are made to align to a desired relationship with the current actual
time is implementation-defined." What the two together mean is that the
counter goes up by 86400 per day regardless of any adjustments to align
the clock with "actual time" (whatever that means).

> > What has been said many times is that it might be nice to change POSIX time

> > to be based on TAI but if you try it you find that this breaks most

> > timekeeping code.

> Why?

Because the code assumes that the formula in section 4.15 gives the
relationship between UTC and posix time.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
South-east Iceland: Westerly or southwesterly, becoming cyclonic in north for