[LEAPSECS] Some definitions --> practically stated

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Mar 9 02:59:38 EST 2011

In message <1299636769.12189.132.camel at localhost>, Paul Sheer writes:

>Posix time

>Posix time is just a definition of the relationship between days and

>logical seconds: i.e. there are 86400 of them in a day and the first day

>is 1970-01-01. Posix time is a 32/64-bit (signed) logical second value.

POSIX also allows time_t to be a floating point value:

time_t and clock_t shall be integer or real-floating types.

Very little, if any, code survives compilation on a system where
time_t is a double.

Technical speaking we also need ISO-C time, which uses a looser
definition than POSIX.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe