[LEAPSECS] Far past and far future

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu May 26 18:52:46 EDT 2011

In message <5FF23466-B8FD-4371-841A-C923F42DB1D9 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>Again - it would be delightful for somebody who knows this stuff to speak up.

I belive the "Ploughshare" project to blast a new Panama Canal fell
on a study about what would happen if the barrier of Panama was breached.

I have no idea if the math was solid or doctored to keep Tellers ideas
in check, but the conclusion was that even a small breach would likely
be impossible to mend again, because it would connect two oceans by tidal
action.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe