[LEAPSECS] BBC article

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Sun Nov 6 06:35:44 EST 2011

Le 06/11/2011 09:51, Paul J. Ste. Marie a écrit :

> On 11/4/2011 5:58 PM, Tom Van Baak allegedly wrote:

>> It's not just GPS. In general any system today that already has an

>> automatic or manual method to handle leap seconds will be fine if

>> no leap seconds were to be announced in the future. This includes

>> GPS, NTP, international time codes (e.g., DCF77, WWVB), PC's

> WWVB includes a UTC-UT1 offset that will overflow if too many leap

> seconds are skipped. I forget exactly how many bits it occupies, but

> the format has a hard limit of 60 bits.

There are a number of radio time services that include DUT1 offsets
which would have the same issues. However, the Americans have thought of
that and conveniently add a note

Notes:
(1) The broadcast of DUT1 will be discontinued.

to the proposed revision of recommendation ITU-R TF.460-6.
At least that is what I see in the version of the revision doc I have.