[LEAPSECS] Royal Society

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Tue Nov 8 18:59:28 EST 2011

Steve's abbreviated quote gave me the impression that Mr.Whibberly of
the British National Physical Laboratory would be in favour of the
abolition of the leap-second - a stance which is the opposite to my
personal knowledge of his views until at least recently. Can I
therefore quote that whole paragraph from the Nature article, where it
is clear he is saying the opposite:

> Peter Whibberley, a physicist at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, UK, says that

> despite ten years of debate, "there's no convincing evidence that anything serious would happen

> if you made a mistake introducing a leap second into a system". Abolishing leap seconds only

> defers any problems, he adds. "A century down the line, we'll need to introduce a 'leap minute',

> and nobody has any sensible arguments for why that won't be a worse issue."

Peter Vince (London, England)