[LEAPSECS] suppressing TAI

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Nov 14 18:04:45 EST 2011

On Nov 14, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Steve Allen wrote:

> On Mon 2011-11-14T22:21:09 +0000, Zefram hath writ:

>> What do list members seriously imagine would be entailed by the intention to "suppress TAI"?

> Irritate every user and vendor of IEEE 1588 systems in the same fashion as the draft revision of ITU-R TF.460 does for UTC users.

I thought Steve was going to point out that for this talking point of the spin doctors as with the notion of a leap minute, that "the cake is a lie". See, for example, "The Economic Consequences of the Peace" by John Maynard Keynes:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15776/15776-h/15776-h.htm

Under Chapter II, section 3, "The Psychology of Society":

"...the virtue of the cake was that it was never to be consumed, neither by you nor by your children after you."

Further: "And so the cake increased; but to what end was not clearly contemplated."

If UTC is redefined to be TAI+offset, it certainly would appear desirable to remove the duplicity in the definition. Rather, it seems likelier that both will be kept around to confuse the issue even more.

I bet it's not a very good cake anyway...