[LEAPSECS] leapseconds on trains (was Re: No leapseconds on trains)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Nov 17 10:02:59 EST 2011

In message <E5C4DBC5-AEEB-4030-978A-94BB0379E938 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:

>On Nov 17, 2011, at 4:20 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> A) The majority of rolling stock built in the last 10 years

>> or

>> B) A few astronomical telescopes.

>> Actually, I don't wonder, I know the answer to that one: You can

>> build several ELT's for what A) will cost.

>No, you don't know the answer to this.

Yes, In fact I do know the answer to this:

First: I have an estimate on the recertification cost from a credible
industry source.

Second: I have a budgetary price for the ELT

Third: I learned division in school.

Given the imprecsions on the estimates, specifying the result as
"several ELT's" is a sensible treatment of one significant digit.

>And you don't think they should invest even one penny to understand

>potential dependencies they have that Coordinated Universal Time

>remain a type of Universal Time?

If they thought there were a credible indication that any such
dependencies existed, they probably would.

The fact that you didn't include a strawman for such an indication,
seen in the historical context that railroads practically invented
1-hour wide timezones, counter-indicates such dependencies.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe