[LEAPSECS] BBC article

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Nov 17 12:37:44 EST 2011

On Thu 2011-11-17T06:49:59 -0800, Steve Allen hath writ:

> It works like the javascript on this page

> http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/epochtime.html

> which risks restarting some totally pedantic and legalistic

> arguments of the sort we're now seeing about POSIX and C time

> because the standards documents are self-inconsistent in the

> presence of the reality that UTC has had leap seconds.

At the bottom of that page is a note pointing out that IEEE 1003.1
(POSIX) and IEEE 1588 (PTP) are two standards from one organization
which require two different counts of elapsed seconds for systems that
use them.

This is a fundamental problem.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855