[LEAPSECS] No leapseconds on trains

Paul J. Ste. Marie paul_j at ste-marie.org
Thu Nov 17 15:55:44 EST 2011

On 11/17/2011 6:30 AM, Daniel R. Tobias allegedly wrote:

> It seems rather bizarre that they'd have to *change* a standard in

> order to *keep on following* the standard that's been in effect since

> 1972, namely the use of leap seconds.

Yeah. I'd have to track down the FRA references, but when I was working
with train dispatching systems in the early 90's, there was an
incredible morass of regulations regarding timekeeping and logging
movements of trains. The dispatchers and tower operators at the time had
huge paper sheets and the time each train passed a waypoint on the track
was logged. I don't remember if it was to the second on the paper forms,
but I wouldn't be surprised. The dispatch system certainly did so. The
waypoints were typically 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart, at towers,
interlockings, and the like.

--
--Paul