[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Tue Sep 20 11:57:27 EDT 2011

On 20 Sep 2011, at 16:51, Gerard Ashton wrote:

> On 9/20/2011 11:24 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> In message<4E78AA49.5060100 at comcast.net>, Gerard Ashton writes:

>>> On 9/20/2011 5:53 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>> Earth orientation is one factor in the time of sunrise and sunset, and

>>> that is important

>>> at perhaps minute precision for many purposes, such as avoiding

>>> violation of laws

>>> regarding turning on automobile headlights, and the taking of game.

>> Show one single court-case, where the exact time of sunrise or

>> sunset has been a crucial factor, with a precision better than three

>> minutes, and I'll belive you.

> I have no way to document the hunters who refrained from taking a deer one minute after

> what the hunter believed to be the legal hunting hours expired.

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for taking a deer one minute after the legal hunting hours expired? Two minutes?

Lighting up time in the UK, at least, has fallen into disrepair. It's no longer published in newspapers with anything like the prominence that it once was, and if you drove around in a car 29 minutes after sunset without your lights on the police would stop you on general principles, as the legislation covering the requirement to make yourself visible in low visibility would override any debate about lighting up times. I doubt anyone under fifty would even have heard of the concept, often than in some general sense of "the evening".

ian