[LEAPSECS] Politics

Gerard Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 10:46:46 EDT 2011

From what I've seen, both politicians and constituents tend to neglect
measurement issues
in general (except adoption of the metric system) and time keeping in
particular. In the case
of calendars, however, there has been a certain amount of friction in
the religious arena
(for example, Gregorian calendar vs. Revised Julian calendar, which are
the same for the
next few hundred years, the same sort of time span that contributors
tend to worry
about, for different reasons).

So a question that comes to my mind is that if a change were proposed
that would
change the calendar away from a count of observed days, so that
eventually DUT > 1 day, which,
if any, government would have the authority to make the change. Taking
the US
as an example, the constitution gives congress the power to "To coin
Money, regulate the
Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and
Measures".
So is the calendar a standard of measure? If not does the US federal
government
have authority to regulate it? Maybe it is a power that belongs to the
50 states.

Gerard Ashton