[LEAPSECS] preprint about timekeeping for neutrino experiment

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Sep 29 18:06:17 EDT 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Zefram wrote:

> I saw a quote from one of the researchers along the lines

> of "we're clever enough to have ruled out this being a trivial error".

The assertion of a +/- 7.4 ns systematic error is itself rather interesting. In this case, how does one estimate a systematic effect as a deviation, standard or otherwise, and wouldn't it generally be the case that such errors would be biased one way or the other as with the three effects (dilation, Doppler, Sagnac) discussed in the preprint?

Whatever error(s) they have committed it is likely to be rather "unsystematic", whether or not it is trivial :-)