[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Ian Batten igb at batten.eu.org
Fri Sep 30 03:07:57 EDT 2011

On 29 Sep 2011, at 2325, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:

> On 9/24/2011 9:52 AM, Tom Van Baak allegedly wrote:

>> We now have GPS, VLBI, the web, sat phones, mobile phones.

>> No one relies on sextants and DUT1 radio broadcasts anymore.

> That's an argument for eliminating radio time broadcasts :)

It would be interesting to know how many people are using MSF/DCF77/WWV/etc for high-precision work in preference to GPS. In the case of MSF, I'd be slightly sceptical, given that it was moved from Rugby to Anthorn on a daily basis during the cut-over, which is at least a millisecond's difference as seen from most UK population centres, without any protest.

ian