[LEAPSECS] Leap smear

Keith Winstein keithw at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 30 04:59:39 EDT 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, mike cook wrote:

> Le 30/09/2011 09:13, Keith Winstein a écrit :

>> DUT1 gets 31 bits, including the sign, and is in units of 2^(-24)

>> second. They also give a rate of change so it can be approximated to

>> first order by the receiver.

> Have you got a reference for this Keith? The only info I could find is from

> Page 18 sub-frame 4 where the GPS-UTC delta is defined maybe the doc was

> incomplete . And as a bonus, do you know of any receivers which report it?

Hi Mike,

The 31-bit DUT1 is actually part of the new GPS CNAV navigation message on
L2. See IS-GPS-200E table 30-VIII. I'm not sure if they have actually
started transmitting it yet.

The traditional GPS navigation message also sends ephemeris parameters to
convert from ECI of the satellite ephemerides to ECEF, but I do not think
DUT1 can necessarily be derived from these, since each ephemeris seems to
be transmitted in a different ECI frame.

-Keith