[LEAPSECS] Calendar authority

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Apr 10 10:42:10 EDT 2012

Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:

> Tony Finch said:

> > Individual national governments don't have much authority to legislate

> > calendars - the Easter Act 1928 is a nice example.

> Disagree. If the relevant Order had been made by now, the two public

> holidays we just had would be this weekend coming instead. And, if I

> understand the constitutional issues correctly, the Church of England would

> be celebrating Easter next Sunday. That sounds like sufficient authority.

My point is that the reason it has been sitting inactive on the statute
books for 84 years is because it would be futile to attempt it, like
prohibition: a large proportion of the population would revolt against the
change. The government knows it does not in practice have the necessary
authority (i.e. the consent of the population) to make the change.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea: West veering northwest later, 5 or 6. Moderate in