[LEAPSECS] What is GMT?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jan 4 15:01:49 EST 2012

On Jan 4, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> If the ITU bastards have their way, I'll be forced to drop all my

> other projects and *scramble* to build my own non-UTC GMT-generating

> apparatus before the first embargoed leap second occurs.

There's a bit of an ambiguity in when that might be, since DUT1 drifts only approximately 300ms every 6 months, there's often two or three choices for dates for a leap second such that DUT1 still remains below 0.9s. Would you try to resolve that at all, or just use whatever published DUT1 numbers to reconstruct an approximation of UT1 and use that for your "GMT" base?

Warner