[LEAPSECS] Civil timekeeping requirements versus UTC specifications

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jan 4 16:19:40 EST 2012

Steve is discussing engineering requirements - that is, a description of the problem and its context in the real world. Tony and Warner are discussing specifications for particular ("specific") candidate solutions. See http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/preprints/02_AAS_11-661_Seaman.pdf or any number of system engineering references. System engineering best practices then supply tools for evaluating a number of proffered candidate solutions one against the other and against cost, schedule, performance and risks.

However the "Draft Revision to ITU-R Recommendation TF.460-6" discusses none of this. My interpretation of Tony's message here is that he is attempting to dislodge Steve's (rock solid) assertion of a requirement. Warner on the other hand is exploring the solution space as an iterative process for better understanding the problem space. But the ITU is seeking to sweep the whole thing under a rug that is two sizes too small.

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory