[LEAPSECS] Straw men

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jan 9 16:29:50 EST 2012

You know, I only picked the subject line "straw men" because the "China" subject was being reused for topics completely unrelated. As I think I've said before, I'd be delighted to buy any of you guys a beer should our paths ever cross. I will be in Amsterdam the week following the leap second if anybody wants to take me up on that. I do not anticipate any beer tap related leap second issues.

Ian Batten wrote:

> Rob Seaman wrote:

>> Absence of handy examples has no implications for the preceding statement.

> "Just because I can't find examples doesn't mean it isn't happening" is hardly persuasive.

The preceding statement was "Yes, I expect issues to continue to arise decades hence in currently deployed systems and processes." referring to issues related to redefining UTC. Some of these resemble Y2K - others are quite different, in particular in astronomical systems.

>> See http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/preprints/02_AAS_11-661_Seaman.pdf, pages 7 & 8. Also various messages on this list.

> Pages 7 and 8 appear to be assertions that it's true, rather than any solid reasons why it's true.

I'll try harder next time.