[LEAPSECS] Straw men

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Mon Jan 9 19:42:58 EST 2012

Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> wrote:

> your watch is set to civil time;

Because the word "you" and "your" when posted on a public mailing list
effectively imply "everyone on the list", I can easy prove that your
statement is false: *my* watch is set to whatever time *I* choose,
which is *not* necessarily the same as "civil time". I live in an
area where everyone around me observes DST, but I refuse to do DST,
hence my personal time (displayed by all of my personal timepieces)
differs from that of everyone around me by an hour for more than half
of every year.

> your computer and your PCR display civil time;

Wrong again: my computer systems run on GMT and are configured to
display only GMT (see the headers of this message for example), even
though I'm an ocean and a continent away from Greenwich.

MS