[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Jan 17 13:27:18 EST 2012

Steve Allen wrote:

> Warner Losh hath writ:

>> [*] Unless I'm an astronomer or care which way the earth is pointing to sub-minute accuracy.

> The GPS system, and the other GNSS, must know that in order to operate.

> The satellite tracking code, the VLBI code, the LLR code have all been

> written and operated in the presence of leap seconds. The absence of

> leap seconds could compromise the infrastructure that supports GPS.

See Stephen Malys's* presentation and paper:
- http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/program/presentations/AAS_11-675_Malys.pptx.pdf
- http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/preprints/32_AAS_11-675_Malys.pdf

From his summary slide:

• DoD GPS Monitor Stations, the ‘starting point’ for all GPS Positioning, Navigation and Timing (PNT) are located on the Rotating Earth

• A regular source of UT1-UTC predictions will continue to be needed for NGA, GPS and other DoD Satellite Operations

• Allowing UT1-UTC to grow beyond the current 1 sec limit
• Will require resources to modify existing ICDs and operational software
• Offers no benefits to NGA or GPS Operations

Rob

* Senior Scientist for Geodesy and Geophysics, InnoVision Basic and Applied Research Office, National Geospatial- Intelligence Agency