[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 18 02:41:32 EST 2012

In message <4F1648DD.31240.23276494 at dan.tobias.name>, "Daniel R. Tobias" writes

:

>On 17 Jan 2012 at 20:59, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> A lot of technical treaties and regulations say UTC in no uncertain words,

>> for instance in air-space regulations. I am pretty certain that creating

>> a new timescale and mandating its transmission over for instance WWV[B] and

>> DCF77 would give a lot of interesting issues where ATC facilities are

>> time synchronized to the new scale, but should have been to the UTC scale.

>And why are those legal issues more significant than the ones that

>will arise with respect to other laws, treaties, regulations,

>standards documents, etc., that specify GMT or some other form of

>solar time, once a redefined UTC (or whatever it's called then) no

>longer closely tracks it?

I am pretty sure that at this point everybody read "GMT" as "UTC" in
those treaties, if they have not already been fixed.

With respect to national laws, they are N times easier to fix than
an international treaty, and therefore much less of a concern.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe