[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Jan 18 06:04:29 EST 2012

On 18 January 2012 08:28, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> Which part of "Coordinated" did you not understand in UTC ?

> UTC's semantics is "the timescale we agree to coordinate on", its

> relationship to the heavens above was merely a convenient matter

> of implementation.

Well I've always interpretted it as a "co-ordinated form of UT". Steve
Allens next email implies others viewed it that way as well.

The recent "terminology" pdf also makes the same point about the meaning of
the acronym and phrase. Its the attempted "theft" of the meaning of UTC
that grates most with me.

Stephen