[LEAPSECS] ISO TC 37

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 18 13:42:03 EST 2012

Ian Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> wrote:

> If people wish to argue that the '78 Act requires GMT (and, note, the

> act only relates to the interpretation of other legislation, not to

> civil contracts or "what your watch says") then that's fine, but the

> natural interpretation of GMT in 1978 would be the historic GMT with

> rubber seconds.

Actually, no, because what the RGO called GMT and what they disseminated
as the official British civil time was the same as UTC from 1972. I expect
a court would take this as indicating that "GMT" should be interpreted as
"what the duly appointed authority (then the RGO, now the NPL) declares to
be the official time".

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch <dot at dotat.at> http://dotat.at/
Biscay, FitzRoy: Mainly westerly or southwesterly, 4 or 5 in south, 5 to 7 in