[LEAPSECS] The ends we seek

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Jan 20 12:02:18 EST 2012

On 20 January 2012 16:25, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

> Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne at joda.org> wrote:

>> Some have suggested that leap seconds could be absorbed as a "permanent

>> offset change". One of the proposals that should be written up is how that

>> would work.

> What is not obvious about it?

> At the moment, if the people in a country or region don't like the

> alignment between their clocks and the sun, they can use their political

> processes to change their timezone offset and/or DST rules.

> This will continue to be the case if leap secondds are abolished.

So, its easy to write up then!

(I would note that the implications of this approach appear to mean
that the +01:00 of Paris today, would eventually become +02:00, then
+03:00 and so on to +infinity. A fairly written document would note
that as being the case and indicate when in the future it would be a
problem.)

Stephen