[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jan 24 03:15:50 EST 2012

In message <4F1E04B4.972.1D564DDB at dan.tobias.name>, "Daniel R. Tobias" writes:

>On 22 Jan 2012 at 0:09, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> But you can only convert that UTC timestamp to a realtime_t (and

>> vice-versa) for timestamps where the conversion is defined.

>Then I suppose it wouldn't make sense to use your realtime_t format

>to store the events in calendaring / scheduling programs,

You are right. Such "out of domain" usage of time_t is a major part
of the trouble with the current handling of leap-seconds.

>You'd then need to be able to store events in the program several

>different ways, fixed either to local time, UTC, or "real" TAI

>depending on which happens to be relevant to the particular event.

Indeed, but that is a different task from what I am trying to specify
here. I'm only trying to do the API for dealing with present and
past time and timeintervals past us, in a computationally efficient
manner.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe