[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds decision deferred until 2015

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Tue Jan 24 15:50:04 EST 2012

Some of the news reports were in error. Canada did not switch sides.
Here is a quote from one of Canada's delegates:

"We can confirm [that] Canada's position at the just concluded RA was
opposition to the elimination of the leap second. It is a position we
have consistently held at previous ITU surveys. In fact, at the RA,
Canada contributed significantly to rallying support for either
maintaining the status quo or as a minimum postponing the decision. In
the end, support and opposition to the proposed change were about even."

I have learned that an agenda item for WRC-15 is being drafted to look
at the issue again after further studies at the ITU that will explore
a variety of options to providing a universal continuous time standard.

-- Richard Langley

>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16625614