[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Tue Jan 24 20:35:37 EST 2012

On Tue 2012/01/24 18:14:26 PDT, Warner Losh wrote
in a message to: Leap Second Discussion List <leapsecs at leapsecond.com>

>> TF460-6 specifies that time during a leap second be represented as,

>> for example, 23:59:60.7, which suggests to me that the second hand

>> should move past 60 to "61".

>But then it would be in the wrong minute.

True - if you took a photo of the clock at 23:59:60.7 then you
wouldn't be able to decide from that alone that the time wasn't
00:00:00.7 (assuming that the minutes and hour hand also move
smoothly). So you'd have to be watching the clock at the time
the leap second occurred.

Regards, Mark