[LEAPSECS] Lets get REAL about time.

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jan 25 00:02:47 EST 2012

> I vigorously advocate only the general idea of rubberization. The

> exact mode of rubberization is up to each individual implementor in

> practice.

This sounds good to me too.

> Alice and Bob may choose two different rubberization schemes, but the

> magnitude of the difference between their clock readings can't exceed

> 1 s at any point.

> MS

And again, this is an example of what I meant by a collection
of best practices documents. I think it is much better for the
community to document the idea of smoothed leap seconds
and then describe the dozen ways it has been proposed or
actually already implemented. That way designers can learn
from other examples and implement something tailored to their
particular application. The one-size-shall-fit-all approach of the
existing UTC-SLS reminds me of Gates, DOS, and 640K.

Markus, if you're lurking, could you at least rename your
proposal to UTC-SLS-1000?

/tvb