[LEAPSECS] Testing computer leap-second handling

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jul 9 14:45:47 EDT 2012

On Mon 2012-07-09T12:07:43 -0600, Warner Losh hath writ:

> Sadly, I know that Steve has some of the kit that would need to

> change, and they made the choice to go with proprietary, difficult to

> change system so the cost will be kinda high.

No, in our one case where loosening DUT1 tolerance would break things
within a year, despite the designed inflexibility, our application
makes us lucky and we will be able to lie to the telescope about its
longitude. Details are in my first presentation/preprint from the
previous futureofutc.org meeting.
http://futureofutc.org/2011/
As noted, this hack may not be feasible for other systems, so it does
not generalize to guarantee acceptance.

What I see as worse is that loosening the DUT1 tolerance is basically
GLaDOS: The Enrichment Center is committed to the well-being
of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be
available at the conclusion of the test.
It makes leaps even less common, less necessary to worry about and
test right now, and it changes the nature of those leaps in ways that
require a whole new way of thinking about how POSIX systems will handle
them.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855