[LEAPSECS] June 30 not leap

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Tue Jul 2 12:22:34 EDT 2013

On Tue 2013-07-02T16:06:27 +0100, David Malone hath writ:

> Ah - sorry - that marks the point where the leap would have been,

> if there was one. I'd intended explaining that, but it slipped my

> mind while writing the e-mail. I've added an explanation at the

> top of the page now.

> http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/leaps/

The plot for the end of 2012 is very telling, for it means that our
one Linux system with out-of-the-box configuration managed to be
listening to one of the very few NTP servers that were still aberrent.

David, do you have the numbers for 2012-07-01 and 2012-08-01 when
there were several incidents of Linux systems locking because their
NTP allowed leaps at the end of any month?

Do the numbers give an indication of how many servers are in the
NTP pool?

I'm wondering what happened to clean things up in the past year,
and I haven't seen anything written about the difference.
E.g., to what extent did Ask and the NTP pool admins cull the aberrent
servers, or to what extent did they get the admins to upgrade their
NTP daemons, etc?

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855