[LEAPSECS] drawing the battle lines

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Mar 20 12:09:26 EDT 2013

There's a lot of overlap between timekeepers and astronomers. I'm not sure I embrace the battle metaphor, but if so this would have to be a civil war.

The fundamental issue remains that atomic time and synodic time are two different things. Thus the BIPM's implicit attempt to divorce the word "day" from its current coherent meaning.

Steve's issues won't go away if UTC is redefined. Rather confusion would ramify and reify.

Systems, software and society need to characterize dates as coherently as they do times. Dates and times are for many purposes the same thing (else you wouldn't query them with an atomic system call). If the BIPM now states otherwise, then what does "day" mean to them?

"Perfection of means and confusion of goals seem, in my opinion, to characterize our age." - A. Einstein, 28 September 1941

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory