[LEAPSECS] happy anniversary pips

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sat Feb 8 19:11:34 EST 2014

On 2014-02-07 04:12 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20140206151947.GA25053 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:

>> Taken at face value Google's Site Reliability Team would seem to be

>> arguing for the return to the bad old days of the rubber second.

> Yeah, they're totally opposed to having equal-length seconds, and they

> really showing the world with this demonstration, aren't they ?

> I have heard a fair bit in private communications about why and how

> google did implement the leap-smear, and let me assure you that

> they have a special place in Googles hell reserved for those who

> prevented leapseconds from having a quick and swift death back when

> that was first proposed.

I probably missed discussion of this survey a couple years ago.

I note two individuals at Google replied. One answered " I am not
satisfied and prefer UTC redefined without leap of second", and one "I
am satisfied with the current definition of UTC which includes leap second".

Maybe there's not really a consensus within Google either?

INTERNATIONAL EARTH ROTATION AND REFERENCE SYSTEMS SERVICE (IERS)
EARTH ORIENTATION CENTER
ANSWERS OF THE QUESTIONNARY CONCERNING A POSSIBLE REDEFINITION OF UTC
http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/questionnaire/reponse_questionnaire.html

-Brooks