[LEAPSECS] happy anniversary pips

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Feb 11 09:00:36 EST 2014

The problem with adding an hour is when and where it is added. If the
hour was added at the midnight at the prime meridian, it would be
disruptive to rush hour and work schedules for most of the world's
population. A critical difference between the management of UTC and the
management of time zones is that time zone decisions are national and DST
shifts are locally scheduled, whereas adding a leap to UTC is globally
scheduled at a time that ignores that the Earth is a rotating globe and at
a location that is, quite frankly, a legacy of colonialism rather than
wisdom.

Best,

Kevin

Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology
Queens College, City University of New York
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11367
telephone: 718/997-5518

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus