[LEAPSECS] happy anniversary pips

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at cox.net
Wed Feb 12 07:36:01 EST 2014

>> Um, that is false. All linux kernels did not crash, in fact NONE of

>> mine did.

> "all" here was an overstatement, but the impact of the leap second

> should never be "your kernel crashes" even if your personal kernels

> didn't.

You should refrain from making inaccurate claims, it damages your
credibility.

The fact that the most recent leap second error didn't cause kernel
crashes but caused extra cpu cycles to be spent again lowers your
credibility.

> MP is hard, sure, but that's not the root cause of this issue.

The root cause of this issue was an error when stepping
a clock backwards? Why was the clock stepped backwards? To
comply with a POSIX requirement that does not match reality?

I submit that the proper fix is to update the spec
to match the fact that we now have days that are 86401
seconds long, now to eliminate leap seconds.