[LEAPSECS] happy anniversary pips

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Feb 12 10:47:38 EST 2014

On Feb 12, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Warner Losh writes:

>>> You should refrain from making inaccurate claims, it damages your

>>> credibility.

>> It still doesn't detract from my point: leap seconds caused aberrant behavior

>> in the linux kernel that everybody wants to nit-pick me on, but the nit-pick

>> s don't detract from the point. The point is the aberrant behavior, rather th

>> an the slight mischaracterizations of that. Geeze, no wonder no progress can

>> be made, people are arguing over the wrong things.

> Bad handling and inadequate testing of leap seconds in those kernels

> (and was some of it libc?) caused the aberrant behavior.

The linux kernel has been touted by some of its proponents as the most tested and verified kernel around. Some may quibble with this characterization, but if not the most, certainly one of the most. And even so, this problem with leap seconds managed to escape into released kernels. If that happened, here, what hope is there for other, less well tested systems.

Warner