[LEAPSECS] Definition of Standard time - Brooks Harris

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sun Feb 16 12:07:11 EST 2014

On 2014-02-16 03:30 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <5300838B.8030503 at edlmax.com>, Brooks Harris writes:

>> It seems the meaning of the term "Standard time" in common-use and in

>> POSIX is in conflict with the definitions in ISO 8601 and IEC 60050-111.

> It seems to me that a term like "Standard time" is so vague and

> fuzzy that we should naturally expect people to use it carelessly

> and without any formal definition.

8601 defines many thing very well - Basic concepts, Time Units,
Gregorian calendar, and generally, the text representations. But it is
silent on "daylight Savings" or "summer time" (but mentioned in some
notes) and the representation of "Local time and the difference from
UTC" cannot distinguish "standard time" from "daylight time".

I wonder why they avoid making clear definitions of Standard time and
Daylight? Is it because previous precedent had already confused the
meanings of the terms, or maybe because they emanate from the "Western
world" and can't be agreed on internationally? Or something else?

-Brooks