[LEAPSECS] Definition of Standard time - Brooks Harris

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Sun Feb 16 16:04:20 EST 2014

There are many timekeeping traditions across many cultures. For most, the move to mean time and the implementation of hours of uniform length were the breaks from tradition. A good demonstration of this is Japanese clocks before and after 1873.

During Pope Gregory's life, there were many different ways of reckoning hours--Italian hours, Nuremberg hours, French hours, and canonical hours. For many clocks of that period--particularly the complicated guild masterpiece clocks, sidereal time and astrology for purposes of calculating natal charts was as important as solar time. Our time system is not a product of tradition but relatively recent choices.

Yet, since the history of timekeeping tends to be told in terms of the techniques and technologies that were adopted rather than those that were discarded, it looks like there is great historical depth and tradition to our current system. If one takes into account all the timekeeping techniques and preferences that have fallen by the wayside, then the only traditions seem to be ongoing discussions and arguments about how to reckon time.

In that sense, the leap second debate, not leap seconds, is traditional.

Cheers,

Kevin