[LEAPSECS] Common Calendar Time (CCT) -Brooks Harris

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sat Jan 18 16:01:18 EST 2014

Ian Batten said:

> Certainly, if Scotland

> does opt for independence (on current polling and betting it seems unlikely, but

> let's suppose) the pressure for England to move to CET will increase. There's some confusion

> as to whether the proposal would be moving the UK to UTC+1/UTC+2 as happened

> during the last war, or UTC+1 all year around, as happened in the experiment

> between 1968 and 1971, but on the assumption that the latter would have too many

> practical problems

Apart from anything else, it would violate EU law.

> I don't see why UTC/GMT would have any relation to the Scottish referendum which, in

> any event, is only 9 months away and will be a dead issue (one way or the other)

> thereafter. Anyone so red-faced and UKIP-y that the designation of UK legal time as GMT

> or UTC mattered to them would be a lost cause for any sane political party anyway, so

> I don't see them mattering. The set of people who would vote Tory but would be

> tipped over into Farage-ism by the nomenclature for time is not a major political force.

No, it's the political *impression* that it matters. Politics is mostly
about appearances.

Look at the unhappy history of the Coordinated Universal Time Bill.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org | it will get its revenge.