[LEAPSECS] Do lawyers care (know) about leap seconds?

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Wed Oct 1 10:46:48 EDT 2014

Gerard Ashton said:
> "Businessmen" can keep whatever time they like for internal use, but
> whenever a businessman communicates with a customer or another business, the
> courts will interpret any times stated as being the legal time of the
> applicable jurisdiction, although in many cases the businessman and the
> other parties have the option of agreeing to a different time scale.

About 3 years ago I gave a paper on this topic to a law conference. One of
the things I suggested then is that laywers should start adding "choice of
timescale" clauses to the "choice of law" clauses they already use.

Whether anyone has actually done so, I don't know.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.