[LEAPSECS] the big artillery

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Oct 30 19:01:55 EDT 2014

"Poul-Henning Kamp" writes:
> --------
> In message <20141030143121.GA20281 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:
>
> >I wonder if the ITU-R process can go to its completion without
> >introducing any document which points out that to omit leap seconds
> >from a time scale called UTC is to redefine the word "day".
>
> You mean the same way leapseconds redefine "minute" by making
> them have the counter intuitive numbers of seconds ?

I don't see this as the same thing.  If this argument is valid then
"leap years" are also problematic.

I'm still thinking the answer is "leave existing 'names' alone - if you
want TAI use TAI. If you want UTC, use UTC.  If you want something new,
call it something new."

If people are using a defined name for a defined purpose and it works
for them, leave it alone.  If people are using a defined name for a
defined purpose and it does not work for them, this group needs to come
up with a new name for the thing they think will solve their problems.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>