[LEAPSECS] All of this has happened before

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:44:43 EST 2015

On Jan 29, 2015, at 1:05 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <BDF1DD12-9E80-4516-91BA-76127DCB9804 at noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:
>> On Jan 28, 2015, at 1:34 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>>
>>> "Derives from" is not a "physical reality", it's merely a social custom.
>>
>> So many replies to choose from [...]
>
> ... all of them unresponsive to my complaint.

Well, no.  You denigrated social custom by prepending the word "mere", so in lieu of my composing an essay to refute this by referencing a thousand-and-one things starting with Kevin Birth's work I went looking for a pithy quote to suggest the great importance that custom has.  I found many quotes and deemed that simple numbers would emphasize the point.  Your dismissive usage was similar to the numerous times that an attempt to diminish important issues has been made by referring to them as "non-technical".  On the contrary, social constructs are highly pertinent to technical discussions.

I then followed that by explicitly rejecting your unstated premise that somehow LOD of day is not fixed by the synodic motions of the Earth.  And then a brief restatement of the theme that proper systems engineering will provide the quickest and surest path to a resolution acceptable to all.  I'll include these here in case you didn't read that far down in the message: