[LEAPSECS] Did John Oliver just save the leap-second ?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jul 1 08:14:21 EDT 2015

--------
In message <acae89d1f40a4725fe18581573f06d40 at lumieresimaginaire.com>, mike at lumieresimaginaire.com writes:

>This example makes that all the more important if people like google are
>exposing non UTC compliant data outside their firewall.

There are very valuable NTP servers serving up special timescales
(including TAI), so that would be a totally insane thing to try.

>They shouldn't be letting them into the public net. Could this be called
>temporal terrorism?
>
>> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437 [1]

It seems to me that the problem here is that the Systemd people picked
default NTP serves without asking the owner/admins of those servers
if that was 1) allowed and 2) a good idea.