[LEAPSECS] Did John Oliver just save the leap-second ?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Jul 1 19:42:04 EDT 2015

Arbitrary timescales are not useful with NTPv4 and before.

They will be with NTPv5 and later (if I have anything to say about it -
a pretty safe bet) as this capability is part of the General Timestamp
API that NTF is working on, as the GTSAPI will be used by NTP.  It will
also have a portable library implementation for user-level stuff, and I
expect we'll have GTSAPI implementations built-in to both a linux kernel
and a BSD kernel.

It will take additional resources that we do not yet have to make these
things happen.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>