[LEAPSECS] GLONASS leap second

Richard B. Langley lang at unb.ca
Fri Jul 3 11:24:15 EDT 2015

I did not monitor what was going on with GLONASS at the time of the leap second. But no NAGUs were issued indicating that any of the satellites had difficulties around the time of the leap second. Also, I've not yet heard of any issues from users. Roscosmos had this to say about the event (in translation):

"On the night of 30/06/2015 to 01/07/2015, the scale of the correction of UTC. The procedure for correcting the scale of the GLONASS system nominally held"

whatever that means. ;-)

-- Richard

On Friday, July 3, 2015, 184, at 10:33 AM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> Richard, or Martin, or anyone,
>
> What's the latest on how GLONASS handles leap seconds? I remember years ago receivers (or the SV itself) reset their timescale across the leap event -- because they use UTC(SU)+3h (Moscow local time) as their system time and not a leap-less, timezone-free timescale like GPS system time.
>
> Multi-GNSS receivers might be able ride through this with some heuristic so the question is more what really happens underneath, or to GLONASS-only receivers these days?
>
> Thanks,
> /tvb
>

> (2013) GLONASS TIME AND UTC(SU)
> http://spacejournal.ohio.edu/issue9/pdf/UsingGLONASS.pdf
>
> (2013) GLONASS and Coordinated Universal Time
> https://itunews.itu.int/En/4275-GLONASS-and-Coordinated-Universal-Time.note.aspx
>
> (2008) GLONASS ICD
> https://www.unavco.org/help/glossary/docs/ICD_GLONASS_5.1_(2008)_en.pdf
>
> (2005) Using GLONASS in Combined GNSS Receivers: Current Status
> http://www.unoosa.org/pdf/icg/2013/icg-8/wgD/D4a.pdf
>
> (2001) The leap second: its history and possible future
> https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/time/metrologia-leapsecond.pdf
>
> (1999) GPS and Leap Seconds: Time to Change?
> http://www2.unb.ca/gge/Resources/gpsworld.november99.pdf
>
> (1990) CURRENT GPS/GLONASS TIME REFERENCES AND UTC
> http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/1990papers/Vol%2022_06.pdf

| Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: lang at unb.ca         |
| Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://gge.unb.ca/     |
| Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142   |
| University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943   |
| Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3                                        |
|        Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.fredericton.ca/       |