[LEAPSECS] Google, Amazon, now Microsoft

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Mon Jun 1 15:20:48 EDT 2015

Tom Van Baak said:
> Can you send me a definitive URL with global TZ rules so I can grep|sort|uniq to get a feel for when DST transitions occurs?

The following database:

https://www.iana.org/time-zones

is about as definitive as you will find.

> I guess I thought it always was 2 am local (which implies jumps from 02h->03h and 02h->01h).

That is very definitely *NOT* the case.

> Also, possibly related, do you know of any place where DST is +/- 2 hours instead of +/- 1 hour? I ask because the still-in-development PE (phase encoded) WWVB format appears to allow for such a (non US legal) transition. I can't quite tell if it's a bug or typo or spec.

Look in the same database.

The UK certainly used to have two changes each way in the year (that is, from
GMT to GMT+1 to GMT+2). Some places only change by 30 minutes. I can't say
I've heard of anywhere jumping 2 hours in one go on a regular basis, but I
won't claim it's never happened.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.