[LEAPSECS] EBML: yet another date format?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Jun 28 09:45:11 EDT 2015

PHK and others make good points, but I’m still trying to get past the "binary-file equivalent of XML”.  I doubt this is worth much more investigation from this group, but in addition to git:

	https://github.com/Matroska-Org/ebml-specification

there are a few links from the wikipedia page:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Binary_Meta_Language

including something resembling an RFC from at least as early as 2004.  Nobody appears to have written an actual RFC during that decade.  The git repository appears recent.  One suspects this is just somebody noodling around.  Meanwhile there are other RFCs on binary time representation:

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4049
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6019

And on efficient (however you want to interpret that word) binary representation in general:

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7049

Including wrapping back around to the ITU:

	http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/asn1/Pages/introduction.aspx

No surprise that time itself was an early internet discussion point, albeit with more questions than answers:

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc28