[LEAPSECS] Bong

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Tue Jun 30 20:27:48 EDT 2015

I synced my Windows 7 using my own SNTP implementation about two minutes
before 8PM New York (Eastern Daylight Time). The SNTP data reported the
Windows within 0.0004 of the NTP - pretty good! I watched the Windows
clock carefully. It counted up 8:00:56, 57, 58, 59 as expected with a
nice one second tick, then rolled to 8:00:00. Then, after the Leap
Second, the SNTP reports Windows v.s. NTP -0.9999900 secs. Then I
re-synced the Windows - now -0.0000018. So, the Windows did NOT count
the Leap Second on its own until after the NTP update, as expected.

Meantime, on the desk I had an Android smart phone (Samsung), set to
"automatic from network". It rolled to 8:00 at the nearly the same time
as near as I could judge. Meantime the Time Warner cable settop box
clock also rolled to 8:00 at the same time as near as I could judge.
After the Leap Second and updating the Windows, the Windows and the
Android roll on the minute together, near as I can judge - seems the
CELL network applied the Leap Second. The cable box seems to be updating
one second late so far (twenty minutes after 8:00PM).

Not very scientific, but the Windows and personal clocks seemed to have
worked more or less without the galaxy collapsing..

-Brooks