[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Stephen Scott stephenscott at videotron.ca
Thu Dec 1 13:08:23 EST 2016

Hello Brooks, Stephen;

What's all this discussion about precision?

The smear has tossed the precision of the second SI out the window.
This is totally unacceptable for an application that requires a precise
and stable frequency reference (telecommunications and broadcast for
example).

Further, this is not the only smear algorithm.
A proliferation of smears could be the best reason for getting rid of
the leap second.

The time community is not monolithic and there are different
requirements of users.
No single approach is likely to satisfy all.
There is a requirement for a minimal set of standardized approaches.

-Stephen