[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Dec 2 08:43:19 EST 2016

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I don't know what the effective latency is from IERS -> TZdata -> distros ->
> releases -> users -> computers, but 6 months is only going to be enough
> if everybody pays maximum attention *EVERY* *BLOODY* *TIME*.

The cascade actually goes IERS -> NIST -> tz because the NIST leap seconds
announcement is public domain whereas the IERS announcement has an unclear
copyright status. And since leap seconds are rather peripheral to the tz
database's purpose, they aren't pushed out amazingly swiftly.

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-July/023867.html
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2016-August/023914.html

Tony.
Trafalgar: Southeasterly 3 or 4, increasing 5 to 7. Moderate, occasionally
rough in west. Fair at first, then rain or showers. Good, occasionally
moderate.