[LEAPSECS] embedded data loggers?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Jan 10 21:59:55 EST 2016

Don’t know if this got through using my new email address.

Have been rummaging around looking at Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi hacks, but the former seems under-powered to run a full NTP instance and the latter is not real-time. Surely there must be an off-the-shelf dohickey that can return (via a unix-style service, for instance) a reliable ~millisecond timestamp corresponding to a trigger?

Or does everybody do rule-of-thumb or after-the-fact calibration of a stream of relative ticks? (The project is intended to get away from such an instance.) Just to be clear, this question is pretty much independent of timescale. Given an event in the real world (for simplicity corresponding to an electrical pulse or high-lo/lo-high transition with some perfectly reasonable amplitude and time constant), what are best practices for associating a well-tempered timestamp?

Rob
—